FNX Radio’s Dave Duncan (host of “Boston Accents”)
1. Faces On Film, "Knot In The Vine" (from Some Weather)
2. Ad Frank & The Fast Easy Women, "The Vampire Who Opted For Death" (from Your Secrets Are Mine Now)
3. Viva Viva, "Valentine" (from Viva Viva)
4. Dom, "Living in America" (from Sun Bronzed Greek Gods)
5. John Shade, "Flashlight" (from All You Love Is Need)
6. Mystery Roar, "Fantasies" (from Mystery Roar)
7. Deer Tick, "20 Miles" (from The Black Dirt Sessions)
8. Gem Club, "Flax" (from Acid and Everything)
9. Bon Savants, "Tidal Waves"
10. One Happy Island, "Elegant Elephant" (from One Happy Island)
2010 gave us the strongest batch of new local music in over a decade, with a new crop of contenders for the blogger buzz status previously bestowed upon Passion Pit (Dom, Deer Tick) and scene veterans returning from periods of discographical dormancy (Ad Frank, Bon Savants). Viva Viva delivered the debut we long yearned for, while Faces on Film made their case for a big league call-up. A year ago I'd scarcely heard of John Shade or Gem Club, and now my iPod can't imagine life without them. The musical diversity in this list is not to be overlooked either - electro, indie folk, twee pop, psych rock are represented, with even more variety lying in my "honorable mention" list (it's full of hip hop and power pop, shoegaze and soul). At WFNX it's my job to champion the music of our region, but records of this caliber make that job particularly easy and the job of narrowing it down to ten songs particularly difficult.
... last >>
4 of 16 (results 16)