1. No Age, "Glitter" (From Everything In Between)
2. Waka Flocka Flame, "Hard in da Paint" (from Flockaveli)
3. Gucci Mane, "Normal" (from Mr. Zone 6)
4. Gyptian, "Hold Yuh" (from Hold You)
5. Nicki Minaj, "Did It On'em" (from Pink Friday)
6. Beach Fossils, "Vacation" (from Beach Fossils)
7. Lil' B, "Pretty Boy" (from Welcome to Based World)
8. Dipset, "Salute"
9. M.I.A, "It Takes a Muscle" (from /\/\/\Y/\)
10. Gold Panda, "Same Dream China" (from Lucky Shiner)
It's with a mixture of shame, pride -- and anticipation of Chris Faraone's groans -- that I'll say that Brick Squad rappers got the heaviest rotation on my iPod this year. There was a period following his release from jail when it felt like Gucci Mane was putting out a mixtape every day; the second I'd tire of one batch of questionably clever lines and anesthetizing gothic synth loops, he'd have a new one for me to replace it with, and I began to feel like an addict. It was lazy listening, but it was also extraordinarily fun. And then came the debut full-length from Gucci's gruffer, hyper-agressive Brick Squad counterpart -- Waka Flocka Flame, who I consider the most bafflingly entertaining artist of 2010 -- and my capacity to appreciate anything remotely nuanced was shot to shit. I’m still in recovery.
... last >>
7 of 16 (results 16)