2) Caserta Pizzeria | 121 Spruce St, Providence | 401.272.3618 | Ask one of us about Caserta's and you'll get "it's good, but it ain't as good as it usedta be." That said, it's still a damn good pie. As for toppings, choose from anchovies, pepperoni, mushrooms and olives — that's it. And don't forget the Pepper Pigs and their famous Wimpy Skippy spinach pie.
3) Pawtucket House of Pizza | 398 Smithfield Ave, Pawtucket | 401.728.7330 | Seriously, the best mom-and-pop pizza shop in Rhode Island (drive by and check out the pick-up line on weekends). Thank the Greek gods for their pizza (go for bacon as a topping), along with their enormous cheesesteaks.
4) Cavalieri's Wood Street Pizza & Bakery | 366 Wood St, Bristol | 401.254.0852 | There are plenty of reasons to visit Wood Street Bakery — great sandwiches and wraps (and 10 percent off for RWU students with ID), but here are the main attractions — the White Quahog pizza and the Hot Weiner pizza. We just blew your mind.
5) Picasso's Pizza | 2323 Warwick Ave, Warwick | 401.739.5030 | Since 1997, big Ray Brooks has been slinging some of the state's finest pizza (and wings, they're still the best in town). Go for an extra-large thin-crust BBQ or Cajun chicken pizza.
ARTS + ENTERTAINMENT
MATES OF STATE
12 SHOWS NOT TO MISS THIS FALL
1) The Barr Brothers | Sept 5, Firehouse 13, 41 Central Ave, Providence | 401.270.1801 | firehouse13.org
2) Carolina Chocolate Drops | Sept 10, Narrows Center For the Arts, 16 Anawan St, Fall River, MA | 508.324.1926 | ncfta.org
3) Surfer Blood + the Drums + the Young Friends | Sept 11, Jerky's Music Hall, 71 Richmond St, Providence | 401.621.2244 | jerkysmusichall.com
4) The Body + Drop Dead | Sept 24, AS220, 115 Empire St, Providence | 401.831.9327 | as220.org
5) Mates of State | Sept 27, The Met, 1005 Main St, Pawtucket | themetri.com
6) Ra Ra Riot | Sept 29, The Met
7) Built to Spill | Oct 2, The Met
8) Free Energy | Oct 13, Jerky's Music Hall
9) Enter Shikari + Haste the Day + Sleeps with Sirens | Oct 16, Club Hell, 73 Richmond St, Providence
10) Pharoahe Monch + Boot Camp Clik | Oct 22, Jerky's Music Hall
11) The Hold Steady | Oct 24, The Met
12) Michael Franti and Spearhead | Nov 5, Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, 79 Washington St, Providence | 401.331.5876 | lupos.com
5 PLACES TO PURSUE TRIVIA
1) English Cellar Alehouse, 165 Angell St, Providence | Sundays | 401.454.3434 | englishcellaralehouse.com
2) Ri Ra, 50 Exchange St, Providence | Tuesdays | 401.272.1953 | rira.com
3) The Wild Colonial, 250 South Water St, Providence | Every other Sunday | 401.621.5644 | wildcolonial.com
4) The Hot Club, 575 South Water St, Providence | Tuesdays | 401.861.9007
5) The Gas Lamp Grille, 206 Thames St, Newport | Mondays | 401.845.9300
3 FORMERLY LOCAL SCRIBES
1) H.P Lovecraft — The original horror master, makes Stephen King blush.
2) Cormac McCarthy — Born in Providence, which might explain his fascination with apocalypse
3) Jhumpa Lahiri — Short story master grew up in Kingston. Who knew?