Regardless of what you believe about 9/11 (see our story on the truthers here), it is a day that deserves contemplation and commemoration. Here are some local events before, after, and on the 10th anniversary that will get your blood, brain, or heartstrings moving.
• On Friday, September 9, from 10:30-11 am at the Eastern Promenade 9/11 Memorial, the Maine Credit Union League will present more than $10,000 to the emergency food-relief efforts of all five of Maine's American Red Cross chapters. | mainecul.org
• Portland firefighters and police officers, along with city officials, will gather in Congress Square Park at 8 am on Sunday, September 11. Starting at 8:46 am (the time the first plane hit the first tower), they will march along Congress Street to the 9/11 memorial on the Eastern Promenade, where they will lay three wreaths (for the three locations attacked). Members of the public are invited to join the assemblage, and are asked to wear white shirts "as a sign of solidarity with the fallen heroes." | portlandmaine.gov
• For nine years, Falmouth American Legion Post #164 commander Arthur Schade and past-commander Arthur Fredericksen have arranged community ceremonies to pay tribute to the victims of 9/11, their families, and first responders. This year's event will be emceed by WGME anchor Kim Block, and will feature patriotic songs by the Downeasters Chorus. It's at 2 pm at 65 Depot Road in Falmouth. | 207.781.4709.
• Want to run it out? Register for the 9/11 Memorial 5K Run/Walk and Kids Fun Run in Gorham, which starts at 9 am at the recreation department on Ball Park Road. | 207.615.7170 or firstname.lastname@example.org
• Professors and policy experts, including Zachary Heiden of the Maine Civil Liberties Union, Richard Murphy of the US attorney's office, and journalist Edward Girardet will participate in the panel discussion: "Ten Years After 9/11: Maine and the World, Perspectives on Law and Foreign Policy" at the University of Maine School of Law, Moot Court Room, 426 Deering Avenue in Portland. The 5:15 pm event is free. | 207.780.4355.