"JUMP ON IN. THE WATER'S FINE" Fox.
Joy Fox , communications director for Rhode Island General Treasurer Gina Raimondo [Note: At the time of this submission, Joy was still 35 years old. She has since turned 36.]
Happy 35th Birthday, Providence Phoenix!
Just this past week, I left 35 behind and can confidently say, “Jump on in. The water’s fine.”
• On dating: At 25, no comment. At 35, no comment.
• On sleep: At 25, I loved sleeping late. At 35, I get more done in the morning, but enjoy an afternoon nap.
• On baseball: At 25, I was waiting for the Red Sox to reverse the curse. At 35, I am enjoying celebrating our third World Series in nine years — worst to first!
• On men: At 25, I respected a guy with the nerve to use hair products. At 35, I respect a guy who admits he is balding, and just shaves his head.
• On career: At 25, I was asking the tough questions as a reporter for the Cranston Herald. At 35, I am answering the tough questions from reporters.
• On women: At 25, I loved writing stories about women doing amazing things and standing up for what was right. At 35, I get to work for a woman doing amazing things and standing up for what is right.
• On retirement: At 25, I thought, “No need to save for retirement, I will never get old.” At 35, clearly I am getting old and I appreciate my state pension combined with my portable defined contribution plan.
• On going out: At 25, I loved friends who could stay out all night, grab breakfast at 3 am afterward, and do it all again the next night. At 35, I love a good bottle of wine and conversations with friends in restaurants and homes where the music isn’t thumping.
• On Rhode Island: It makes no difference what age I am — I love Rhode Island. Sailing, great career, delicious food all with family and friends close by!