FLO'S CLAM SHACK
It's back-to-campus time. You've got shopping lists, book lists, syllabi, class rosters, and Facebook. Who would possibly think you could handle more lists? We would, that's who. We at the Providence Phoenix set a high standard for our readers' performance, and that involves giving you more information than you can possibly handle. Kinda like college.But this stuff, we swear, is info you won't stare at blankly and wonder whether you'll ever use it in your adult life. Our lists you can walk right out the door and use right now, no questions asked, no studying required. Some of these lists, we dare say, you might actually memorize. Not because we said so, but because you'll realize how important they are. (Feel free to use assistive technology — we even included a list of useful numbers to put in your phone's contact list.)
The basic point is: If you want to know it, it's on one of our lists. If it's not here, you don't need to know. Tell that to your profs at exam time.
FOOD + DRINK
5 PLACES TO GET YOUR FIRST TASTE OF RHODE ISLAND CLAM CHOWDUH
There are actually three varieties of clam chowder: the red stuff dubbed "Manhattan" style, white "New England," and Rhode Island "clear" chowduh. The ingredients? Potatoes, chopped clams, and a briny stock — no tomato or cream enhancement needed. Kinda like the broth left over from a bowl of steamers. What are steamers, you ask? Oh, right. Never mind . . . .
1) Quito's | 411 Thames St, Bristol | 401.253.4500 | quitosrestaurant.com
2) Evelyn's Drive In | 2335 Main Rd, Tiverton | 401.624.3100 | evelynsdrivein.com
3) Flo's Clam Shack | 4 Wave Ave, Middletown | 401.847.8141
4) Aunt Carrie's | 1240 Ocean Rd, Narragansett | 401.783.7930 | auntcarriesri.com
5) Champlin's Seafood | 256 Great Island Rd, Narragansett | 401.783.3152 | champlins.com
3 "HAPPY HOURS"
1) Cuban Revolution ($2 domestics, $3 imports/crafts, all day every day) | 50 Aborn St (401.331.8829) + 60 Valley St (401.632.0649), Providence | thecubanrevolution.com
2) Ri Ra (4-7 pm weekdays, discounted drink and app specials) 50 Exchange Terr, Providence | 401.272.1953
3) Jimmy's Saloon (free burgers and dogs on the bbq Fri 5-7 pm) | 37 Memorial Blvd, Newport | 401.846.5121
5 BRUNCHES WORTH SETTING THE ALARM FOR
1) Bluefin Grille | 1 Orms St, Providence | 401.272.5852
2) Bay Voyage Inn | 150 Conanicus Ave, Jamestown | 866.323.3087
3) Julian's | 318 Broadway, Providence | 401.861.1770
4) Cafe Paragon | 234 Thayer St, Providence | 401.331.6200
5) Caffe Dolce Vita | 59 DePasquale Sq, Providence | 401.331.8240
4 NO-MESS LOBSTER DISHES WORTH SEEKING OUT
1) Saute Lobster (en casserole) | Twin Oaks, 100 Sabra St, Cranston | 401.781.9693
2) The Lobster Club sandwich | Crow's Nest, 288 Arnolds Neck Dr, Warwick | 401.732.6575
3) The Fried Lobster chunks | The Lobster Pot, 119 Hope St, Bristol | 401.253.9100
4) Fried Lobster Salad Taco special | Nacho Mama's, 76 State St, Bristol | 401.396.9588
OLNEYVILLE N.Y. SYSTEM
6 GREAT WEINER JOINTS — TRY 'EM ALL!